My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Buttermilk Chicken ala Ellen Brennen


Howdy friends and foodies!!   A week or so ago, there was discussion about buttermilk and the number of people that do not buy buttermilk or have any in the refrigerator.   Living in the South, I find that odd...but then again, being born and raised a Yankee Michigander, we NEVER had buttermilk and I didn't even know what it was.  
After moving to the South over thirty years now, I don't know of a single neighbor or friend that doesn't have buttermilk in their refrigerator!  I make so many things with buttermilk, i.e. pancakes, baked goods, coffee cakes, salad dressings, Southern Fried Chicken, cucumbers and onions..the list is quite long.   And buttermilk never "blinks" since it is a soured milk product to begin with...and the flavor is remarkably similar to sour cream.    I must add the Yankee misconception is to add a teaspoon of vinegar to sweet milk and that can be substituted...WRONG...you just made sour milk...NOT buttermilk.  
There are some very good versions of Low Fat Buttermilk here in East Tennessee and my preferred brand is from the Mayfield Dairy in Athens, Tennessee.  Watching calories, etc. much of my cooking/baking is following the Sugar Busters lifestyle.   Since starting their program, I have lost 42 pounds and still have 30 more to go...and it has become easy to loose a pound and a half per week...when following the rules.  Sometimes, we "fall off the calorie wagon" but have to get right back on!

I found this recipe from Ellen Brennen...she co founded Brennen's Restaurant in New Orleans.  Check out Amazon to find her cookbooks.   
  

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Buttermilk Chicken

1 c buttermilk
1/2 c onion; chopped
1 tb paprika
1 ts tarragon, dried
1 1/2 ts garlic powder
1 ts celery powder
1/2 ts pepper
1 lb chicken parts


In a blender, combine all ingredients except chicken.  Mix well.  Place the chicken in a baking pan  and coat both sides with the seasoned buttermilk mixture.

Bake one hour, turning twice.  Serve immediately.

Notes:  Sugar Busters/Ellen Brennan


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **







I have sauteed small potatoes in butter until lightly browned.  Then add three tablespoons of Italian vinaigrette (Wishbone Brand works nice) directly to the saute pan and heat through.    Add directly to the mesculin lettuce mix and a nice plate is ready to be served.  

1 comment:

Gary said...

Mr. Bill, Having been born and raised in Virginia about the only thing I don't a little buttermilk to is my morning coffee :) - G

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022