My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Meatloaf Revisited

OK...I will concede that the Blazing Summer of 2010 is officially over.   I truly enjoy summer and the warm weather, but we all need a break.  I love to grill and now  it is now time to rethink our cooking and roasting methods.  The Fall temperature change in weather arrived in East Tennessee this week.   The morning low was in the 40's and our average highs about 65F.   Quite a difference from last week.  


The top of my Fall cooking list includes pot roasts, roast beef and chili.    And who couldn't say no to Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes?     Not me...so the first of the cool cooking season will be Meat Loaf.   


I started watching a couple of TV shows and Ina Garten was demonstrating her version of Meat Loaf.   The single difference in her recipe and my method is I always added my raw onion directly to the meat and into the oven.   She recommends sauteing your onions first and then adding to the meat mixture.    I tried this and had good results.   
This recipe makes quite a bit and after mixing everything together, I decided to make some meatballs in addition to the meatloaf.   I use a small ice cream scoop to get equal sized meatballs.   On to a parchment lined pan and roasted at 375F convection for 20 minutes.      

Ready for the Oven

Ready to use or freeze for later


@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Meat Loaf


1 tb canola oil
3 yellow onions; chopped
1 ts thyme leaves; chopped
2 ts kosher salt
1 ts black pepper
3 tb Worcestershire sauce
1/3 c chicken stock
1 tb tomato paste
2 1/2 lb ground chuck
1/2 c bread crumbs
2  eggs; beaten
1/2 c ketchup


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4  hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.)    Serve hot.
Notes: ©Ina Garten, 2010



Yield: 6 servings


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **



Here is my finished loaf ready for the oven.  I roasted at 375F for 40 minutes and then lowered oven temp to 325F for another 20 minutes.  Let rest for 10 minutes while preparing mashed potatoes.    I hope you enjoy as much as we did for a cool evening supper!  




Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Gary said...

Mr. Bill,
I love a really good meat loaf and you got my attention. Can't wait to try this one. But more importantly is the showing of the meat balls. I have been wanting to do meat balls for some time but had never tried them, "old dog, new trick". Meat balls are now on this coming weekends menu. Thanks a bunch for such a timely post. Hoping all is good in E. Tenn. - G

Mr. Bill said...

Meat balls are nothing other than meat loaf....make a couple dozen before hand and you will have another entree in the weeks ahead.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I saw the same Barefoot Contessa show where she sauteed the onion for her meatloaf instead of using raw. I've always used raw too, but I'm glad to know you had success cooking the onion for your meatloaf.

I find Ina's recipes almost always work for me.
Sam

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022