My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Filet Au Poivre

I enjoy grilling in the summer...and love my Wolf grill for indoor wintertime grilling.   This incantation required a bit of a different method.   For this, I use my Lodge Cast Iron Skillet.   It helps to keep the peppercorns attached.  

As a note:....be sure your oven is 500F! for at least twenty minutes.  

Wonderful Flavors with Baked Sweet Potato, Mixed Greens and Parmigiano shavings 


@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Filet  Au Poivre

Blog Recipe, Meats

2  filet Mignon; bacon wrapped & room temp
3 tb peppercorns; cracked
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoon brandy
1 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 500 F. convection, if available.

Crack peppercorns between heavy plastic with a heavy mallet or rolling pin.  Brush each filet with a little oil and then press peppercorns on each side.
 
Heat cast iron skillet until smoking hot. Add oil and 1/2 the butter, stirring until butter is melted. Add steak and sear for 2 minutes on each side.

Place skillet in oven and continue cooking 8 minutes.   This should produce medium rare.  Roast for ten minutes for medium.

Place steak on warm platter. Add butter, red wine, brandy and salt. Simmer while stirring a few minutes. Pour over steak and serve immediately. Sautéed mushrooms also are a great side addition.

Notes:  ©WHStoneman

Yield: 2 servings


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.88 **

                                           Bon Appétit!

2 comments:

Gary said...

Mr. Bill,
I have not had the cast irons out for some time but I think this recipe could entice me to drag them out in the next day or so :) and I am not sure which I am more interested in trying out, the filet or the sauce. I to, am looking forward to grilling seasons, but then again I have been known to stand out in the middle of a snow storm and grill (lol). - G

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the work you have put into the post, it helps clear away some questions I had.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022