My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sara's Saucepan Pie Crust

While flipping through web pages, I ran across Martha Stewart's Radio Blog pages.  Since I don't have SAT radio, I didn't know this existed until I rented a vehicle in Miami for vacation travel.   After returning home, I had to investigate the blog pages    ...and I ran across this!!   Hard to believe something could be so simple, but it really works and tastes great.  Thanks again to Martha and Sara!  

 @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Sara's Saucepan Pie Crust

New Finds!, pastry

1/3 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup self-rising flour



Bring cooking oil and water to boil in a small saucepan -- it takes just a few seconds! Then remove from heat.

Add 1 cup flour and stir. It will quickly pull away from the pan and form a ball. Don't over stir....will make your dough tough. 

Place into a pie plate (non-greased) and wait a few minutes for it to cool enough so you can touch it with your fingers. Press out evenly into the pan, pushing it up the sides with your fingers. Pinch a decorative edge.  That's it!

Notes:  Everyday Food, M Stewart


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **


I blind baked the crust at 375F for 15 minutes.  Removed the pie weights and continued for 10 more minutes until firm and dry.  After cooling, I filled with a chocolate mousse and topped with freshly whipped cream.  So easy and quick....hope you enjoy!


Ready for blind baking 425F for 15-18 minutes




Crisp Golden Crust

Rich Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Whipped Cream

I have taken this to another level.....by adding two tablespoons of cocoa powder and two tablespoons Splenda.  The dough comes together just like a Pâte  à Choux or cream puff dough.   After patting into my 8" tart pan with a removable bottom, I smooth it out with the palm of my hand and then use a flat bottom straight side measuring cut to keep it an even thickness.

After a brief mixing



Smoothing out crust with measuring cup


Into the Freezer for 15 minutes resting time and to chill before blind baking

The crust cooled to room temperature and then I filled with a quick vanilla custard pudding mixture...so easy and tasty.   The crust almost has the consistency of a shortbread without all the butter calories. 

1 comment:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

That pie crust sounds too good to be true it's so easy. I'm so glad you passed that recipe on. I'll give it a try.
Sam

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022