My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Casual Night for Tacos

Too Hot...too humid for lots of cooking.   The perfect night for Make 'em yourself Tacos.  

Picked a couple of fresh tomatoes off our withering vines.   My plants looked very healthy at the beginning of July..but as of late, they are looking pitiful and my tomatoes are hard...not soft and ripe like last years' crop.  I don't know if it was the heat but we didn't have blossom end rot like in the past.  Heard a tip that Epsom salt is what the plants need...but oh well...next year will be better, I hope!

I found this copycat recipe ten years ago and since that time, I have never bought a "taco seasoning pak" that every grocery store sells.   This is just as good, easy to make and you probably have everything in your pantry right now to make this.  A teaspoon or more of chipolte powder adds a nice bit of smoky heat.  

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lawry's Taco Spices And Seasoning

8 tablespoon flour
2 2/3 tablespoons chili powder
2 2/3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 1/3 tablespoons cumin
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon pepper


Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.   Whisk to combine and stores well in dry container.  

To make seasoning sauce, add two tablespoons to 3/4 cup water to 1 pound browned ground meat. Bring to boil, cook 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Makes filling for 12 tacos (about 3 Tbs) each.

Yield: 8 servings

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **
Ready for Serving 
Shredded Cheddar, Sour Cream, Tomatoes and Red Onion for serving 

When we have tacos, we make a salad with avocado and ranch dressing.  You can add your favorites including refritos to the taco.   Great eating on a hot evening.   

2 comments:

copycat recipe said...

We love tacos, even my 6-year old twin boys! I would definitely give this a go. I'm sure my four kids will enjoy assembling this. Perhaps for hubby and I, a little kick from jalapeno or chili sauce will be perfect. ;)

Pam said...

You are so right about the too hot, too humid! Those are some great sounding tacos that I will have to try! I see there are all kinds of great recipes here so I will enjoy looking around!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022