My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Those Pesky Deviled Eggs

Wishing Y'all a very Happy Easter and....


it's time to get your Deviled Egg Plates out!   






Such a Southern thing...the Deviled Egg plate!!   

My first plate on the left was acquired from Replacements, LTD.   in Greensboro, NC.   
My second plate was acquired  from the  Colombia Restaurant in St. Augustine, FL.   



I have been trying for 30 plus years to boil an egg and then remove the shell without destroying the little bugger!   I have tried everything....and I mean everything.  Using new eggs didn't appear to help.   Using old eggs didn't produce anything successful.  Soaking eggs overnight in water was a failure.    Then it occurred to me that I might want to change the procedure I was using.    In the past, I always added the eggs to salted COLD WATER.   Also, added vinegar to prevent eggs from "leaking" while cooking.  Still, I couldn't peel the eggs with any success.  So frustrating.  

Then it occurred to me that maybe my method was in error and not the actual egg itself.  Let's try something different.     Why not try having the water to a ROLLING BOIL BEFORE adding the eggs.  So..I begin with my water level  to cover completely the eggs.   Add a tablespoon salt and a splash of vinegar.   The water is "on the boil" and with my spider, (an essential cooking utensil), I lower the eggs into the boiling water.   So far...I have found that six minutes is perfect for soft boiled eggs and 12 to 14 minutes is perfect for hard boiled. When your time has arrived....immediately plunge the eggs in ICE WATER BATH to stop the cooking process. This prevents that green ring that appears around the yolk. 

Now...to the best part....no matter what egg I use...I can immediately peel the eggs....and the shell slips off without tearing the egg white.   It is a miracle! 

And NOW on the the best deviled egg recipe that I have ever enjoyed...the secret...adding butter to the egg mixture.   It really helps "gel" the egg mixture after refrigerating.  

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Deviled Eggs

Appetizers

12 lg eggs; hard boiled & peeled
1/3 c Kraft mayonnaise
2 tb butter; room temp
1 tb Coleman's dry mustard
  pinch of cayenne pepper
  salt & white pepper; to taste
2 tb tarragon; fine chop


Place eggs in ice bath to stop cooking.   Immediately, crack eggs and return to the ice bath to continue cooling. Once the eggs have cooled, remove the shells under running water.  Peel, starting at the large end.  This helps to removes any stray shell fragments.

For the filling:  Halve the peeled eggs lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks. Set the whites aside. Pass the yolks through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl or place them in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with  the metal blade. Blend the yolks, mayonnaise, butter, mustard, and cayenne, and mix until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Add the finely chopped tarragon.

Place the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip or use a medium sealable plastic bag with one corner snipped off. 

To assemble the eggs, when ready to serve, pipe the yolk mixture into the whites. Garnish with additional herbs, chill until serving.

Notes:   ©   http://www.virginiawillis.com      Thanks Virginia...I have made a few additions to your original recipe! 

Yield: 12 servings--maybe six for a good olé boys suthern picnic! 


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.88 **


Chilled and READY to enjoy!  

Bon Appétit
and 
Enjoy YOUR Wonderful World!


2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

YUM... I LOVE LOVE LOVE deviled eggs and yours look fabulous... I never bother to make them anymore (because I would eat too many at one time---ha)... BUT--seeing yours makes me want to make some NOW. Thanks!
Betsy

Christine's Pantry said...

I love deviled eggs. Your eggs look good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022