My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Watermelon Salad

The Fourth of July provided a wonderful getaway to St. Pete Beach for the week.   I really enjoy vacations since I get to experience new and tasty treats from all the good restaurants in the area.  The weather was exceptional except for Friday and the 24 hour monsoon rains hit.   Didn't stop us though.....we just have to run between the raindrops and lightening bolts.   Boy..there are some striking electrical storms in the Tampa Bay area.  


A Watermelon Salad was served at a restaurant...and I can't remember which one.  I knew that I had to recreate these flavors and decided to add the toasted peanuts.    This keeps well and develops a richer flavor the following day.     What is interesting is that watermelons and cucumbers are members of the Cucurbitaceae family...basically "food relatives". Guess that is why I love this so much and hope you enjoy it as we did.   I combined this great summer salad with risotto and peas for a nice vegetarian lunch.  

Watermelon Salad with Risotto and Peas





@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format


Watermelon Salad


Salads


2 tb white vinegar
2 1/2 ts Splenda
2 c watermelon; seeded & diced
2 c cucumber; peeled & sliced
1/2 c Vidalia onion; thin slice
1/2 c parsley; minced
1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts; chopped



Mix vinegar and Splenda; stir to dissolve.


Add watermelon, cucumber, onion and parsley in large bowl. Top with vinegar and dissolved Splenda.  Stir to combine and chill  for two hours for flavors to combine.


Before serving, toast chopped peanuts in dry skillet for two minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from heat and cool completely. Top salad with chopped peanuts.


Notes:  ©WHStoneman




** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.88 **






While vacationing, I had to review a couple of restaurants as I usually do when in Gulfport.   You can catch up on some of the dining adventures at my On The Town Dining with Mr. Bill


Bon Appétit
and 
Enjoy YOUR Wonderful World!

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Bill, Just checking to see if you are cooking me a big breakfast this morning.... Oh Well!!!! Guess the kitchen is closed.

That watermelon salad looks GREAT... Thanks!
Betsy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022