My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Friday, June 10, 2022

Why didn't I think of this before.....?

 Why didn't I think of this before.....?



Whenever I get the notion to make tart shells, I always dread rolling out the little rounds and cutting them the right size to fit into my removable bottom tart shells.   It really can get tedious.  

Something this morning struck me and I don't know why I had never thought of this before....why don't you try your tortilla press???    Well I did, and discovered that a regular 9" dough recipe can be divided into 8 equal portions and they are the perfect size for the tart pans.   All it took was to line my tortilla press with parchment paper dusted and in goes the ball of dough and presto!   A perfect round and ready piece to insert in the tart pan.  

Here is my recipe and of course, I only use all natural lard for my pastry.   Grandma was right and it is pure and natural.  

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Grandma's Pie Crust


1 1/3 c flour; plus more, as needed
1/4 ts baking powder
2 ts sugar
1/2 ts salt
4 oz pure lard; cold
1 ts vinegar
4 tb ice water; more, or less

Add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in workbowl of food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine. 

Add cold lard to bowl and pulse eight or ten times until resembles pea size pieces. This can also be done with a pastry blender, or two knives if your don't have a food processor. 

Add vinegar (produces a tender crust) and ice water. Pulse a few times until dough comes together. Mix with spatula if working in a large bowl. Dough should be able to hold together when you pinch between your fingers. If not, add a teaspoon at a time and gently mix. Do not overwork the pastry. 

Remove and place on plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours minimum for dough to relax. 

Proceed as usual with filling of choice, or blind bake at 425F for a nice pastry shell.

Courtesy Grandma Lola and Grandma Grace

Yield: 1 9" crust


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.97 **





Roll Ball onto parchment paper and cover
with another sheet of paper before pressing.  




  Ease into tart shell and trim


I purchased my tortilla press years ago 
from Amazon.  I don't use it much
but it sure is necessary when you need it.  


I do hope this helps you and inspires everyone to get out in the kitchen and make some tart shells.  They freeze easy and are ready to use for a quick dessert.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022