My Wonderful World

Welcome and Enjoy!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Brown Rice Bake

Some days, you just have the urge for mac and cheese...it is just my number one comfort food.    Since white pasta is out of my lifestyle, I still don't have to deprive myself of comfort.   


Brown rice has become a very important ingredient in my diet.   I don't have it every day...but a couple of times a week.   It is a food in moderation for me.  So, I began with the cooked rice and this is where I ended up....and it will become "a couple of times a month" regular!  


 

My pan ready for the oven


@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Brown Rice Bake



2 1/2 c boiling water
1 c brown rice
1 tb olive oil
1 med onion; minced
1  celery rib; small dice
6 oz mushroom; chopped
1 lg egg; beaten
1/2 c heavy cream
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese; shredded
  parsley; chopped, to taste

Preheat oven to 375F.

Prepare 4 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Add brown rice, boiling water and olive oil. Cover with tight lid or foil and bake for 60 minutes.  Remove from oven and fluff. Rice will have a little moisture left.

While baking, saute onion, celery and mushrooms until soft. Remove from heat to cool.

Beat egg into cream; add to shredded cheese. Add cooked onion, celery and mushrooms. Add chopped parsley, to taste.  Add cooked brown rice.

Keep oven at 375F. Combine all in a greased 8" casserole dish. Bake 25-35 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve with your favorite entree.

I have added chopped broccoli and chopped cooked chicken for a complete casserole meal. Your additions will be to taste.

Notes:  WHStoneman


** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
 
 
 

Hot from the oven...and ready to enjoy!  Bon Appetit






1 comment:

George Gaston said...

Bill, that is one incredible confort dish! It looks amazing and I am sure taste great, too.

Great recipe, thanks...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Life and Times

My photo
Kingston, Tennessee, United States
The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice. Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your personal intervention will be necessary -- © WHStoneman 2022